5/14/08

Waking Life

.


.
Your life is real or you're dreaming? What is love? Do you know about the collective unconscious? Waking Life (Director Richard Linklater) bombards me with the simple, subtle questions, but it's pretty tricky to answer as so is life itself. Anyway, It's a little gloomy I can't be sure of if I live or I'm dreaming.

Look around the world where countless people are dying from severe starvation and the attack of armed forces led by the powerful who are DREAMING of a new world. Moreover, natural disasters like cyclone and earthquake in Asia have carried off hundreds of thousands of people in an instant. These are what I have never dreamed of. Can I call such situations reality with no doubt?

The film seems to suggest an alternative idea for me. In talking with the protagonist, a professor argues free will makes our existence hopeful and optimistic though the universe is absurd and meaningless. To quote his words "Your life is yours to create. What you do makes a differences is always our decision who we are." I generally agree with the professor.

Waking Life deals with the diverse range of subjects including dream, existentialism and situationism. If you happen to expect to kill time seeing the film, you are likely to have a nightmare. In my point of view, the film isn't simply tell the relationship between dream and reality, but make us aware of immoral and irrational society through the story of dream. At the end part of the film, asked how you wake up by the protagonist, Linklater says "It's easy, Just... wake up!" As an enthusiastic admirer of Linklater, I'm looking forward to his insightful works.
.
.
"People who doubted free will did so on the grounds that God knows everything in advance." - from Waking Life
.

No comments: